Thursday, June 7, 2012
Jews on Guns, Gays, and Abortions
Say what? Well, 6th and I Synagogue is hosting a class on the Jewish Perspective on Guns, Gays, and Abortions. It is a 3 week course with each week focusing on one of the three hot button topics. I went to the first class this evening, which focused on guns. It was super interesting to read language from the Torah and the Talmud and see what the Rabbi's of old thought about protection and when it is ok to kill someone, and then to apply that to guns and gun laws. I haven't changed my views on guns, but it was definitely a perspective I hadn't thought of before. Its very thought provoking and I'm super bummed that I am going to be missing the class on abortion since I will be in CA next week at this time. But I'll be back for the class on Jews and gays, so that should be interesting, and the Rabbi will be emailing out the work sheet on abortions, so I will still see the texts, I'll just be missing the discussion. I also met the Rabbi of 6th and I for the first time tonight, and I really like her. She wasn't there when I went to services last month, so I am excited to go to services tomorrow and see how she leads them. I have to say, it has been great getting back into Judaism and I couldn't be happier with 6th and I Synagogue.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment